These vegan protein bites are an AMAZING option for vegetarian protein and SO easy to make! They have a neutral taste so you can marinade them in pretty much anything. They are soy free, dairy free, and made from chickpea flour.1 cup of chickpea flour contains just 200 calories and 20g protein (the amount in a serving of meat).
TIP: You can use this ‘base’ to make the cubes, and use the cubes in a variety or recipes – just however you’d use paneer. I used it to make these chili-garlic protein bites here.
Makes about 4 servings:
2 cups chickpea flour (besan) – you can buy this at most Indian grocery stores.
2 teaspoons starch of some kind: Tapioca starch, corn starch, or arrowroot starch
2 tsp salt
- Sift the flour, salt, and starch together into a pot
- Add 2 cups water and whisk together
- Cook for 5-7 minutes until it becomes THICK – it should get very stiff, and not fall off the spoon when you lift up the spoon.
- Pat the batter into an oil-lined pan or cookie sheet
- Refrigerate 10 mins
- Slice into cubes – just like you would slice cheese – and ENJOY! Marinade, cook, add to gravy – use it just like you would use paneer or tofu!
Try this recipe here: Asian Chili-Garlic Protein bites
PICTURE CREDIT – This is not my picture. While my bites tasted amazing, they were not as aesthetic as this picture. This picture is from Tesco.