THESE ARE SO GOOD. Oh mannnn – These little protein ‘bites’ are made from chickpea flour, and are dairy and soy free. They’re packed with protein and fiber, and an amazing source of vegetarian protein.
This marinade has a spicy, garlicky asian flavor. I added some Korean sauce, which gives it an earthy, umami taste – Kind of like Korean BBQ. If you can’t find the Korean sauce, that’s fine – just omit it and this will still taste great!
The ‘bites’ themselves are SUPER easy to make and takes about 10 mins- The base of the recipe is here. You will need chickpea flour (besan) and a little spoon of starch of some kind – tapioca starch, corn starch, etc.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 batch of protein bites – (See here for recipe. You need chickpea flour and arrowroot starch) OR use real tofu, tempeh, soy cubes, etc for this!
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 6 cloves finely minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chili-garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons Korean Gochujang fermented red chili sauce (find this at the asian grocery store – it comes in a carton like this. Omit if you can’t find it but it adds a nice earthy flavor)
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons water (large splash)
- Make the bites (recipe here) – This should take 15 mins.
- While the bites are cooling, mix everything together to make the marinade.
- Marinade for 15-20 minutes (or less if you’re really hungry)
- Spray a pan with oil spray, and fry the bites up on a pan – About 2 minutes on each side – watch carefully so they don’t burn.
Alternatively – Try air-frying these! I’m going to try that next time.
Tell me below if you are going to try this!
Photo cred – This picture at the top came from Spicy Southern Kitchen. Mine turned out like this – SUPER crispy!